Wing IDE for Python v. 3.0 beta1 released

John K Masters johnmasters at oxtedonline.net
Thu Aug 2 13:26:33 EDT 2007

On 08:00 Thu 02 Aug     , sdeibel at gmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 1, 6:42 pm, John K Masters <johnmast... at oxtedonline.net> wrote:
> > To suggest that, because the autocompletion worked on one method of a
> > module and not on another was because I had not configured the
> > PYTHONPATH properly is at least insulting.
>
> We certainly didn't intend to be insulting.  This it the most common
> cause of
> auto-completion problems but you are right that it's a mis-diagnosis
> on our
> part if it was just one method.  We respond to sometimes hundreds of
> emails
> a day ,so we do make mistakes.
>
> It may be solved by using Reanalyze File from the right-click context
> menu
> on the editor but there's no gaurantee.  This is incredibly complex
> code with
> many layers of highly optimized tokenizing, analysis, inference,
> caching,
> and then display in the various tools in Wing so it often takes a bit
> more time
> to find where the bug is.
>
> By the way, Wing 3.0 beta1 fixes a number of bugs that would lead to
> bad analysis, including missing methods as a result of failure to
> track edits in a file properly.  It also improves reading completion
> info
> out of extension modules and properly handles several forms of
> import where it fell on its face previously.
>
> Hope that's useful... please let me know if not.
>
> - Stephan
>
> --

This is the point at which I eat cartloads of humble pie and crawl
backwards out of the room muttering my apologies. Not only had I sent my
email to Wingware, I had mis-spelled it. The good people at Wingware
kindly emailed me following my post here.

My only (feeble) excuse is that I have just lost the backspace key in my
vim config and it's causing me loads of problems when I write emails.

Once again I apologise profusely. I shall certainly purchase wingware
and will not hesitate to recommend it.

Regards, John
--
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914)