Querying Graphics Card Name

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org
Sun Aug 12 16:18:54 EDT 2007

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 21:58:54 -0000, Benjamin Goldenberg <bgoldenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 9, 3:26 pm, Bjoern Schliessmann <usenet-
> mail-0306.20.chr0n... at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>> Benjamin Goldenberg wrote:
>> > I would like to find out the name of the graphics card of the
>> > machine my program is running on. I have looked into the pyopengl
>> > module, and using them to query the card, but it seems like there
>> > ought to be a simpler way to find this out without setting up a
>> > glcontext. Does anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> You could execute glxinfo and look for the renderer string. If
>> that's sharp enough for your purpose. Another option is lspci.
>
> I should have clarified. I would like a cross platform implementation,
> Windows and *nix. It doesn't seem as if glxinfo is available under
> Windows, at least not without installing X11 under cygwin. If
> necessary, I can write the *nix and Windows queries separately.

Yeah, but ...
- what if there isn't one?
- what if there are several?
- what if there *is* one, but your user is sitting by a remote machine,
  not using the card at all?

Your method will, no matter how you choose, fail sooner or later,
so you'd better plan for that.

What is your reason to do this, by the way?  Remember what Homer
Simpson said: if something appears to be hard, it is simply not worth
doing. And I mean that semi-seriously.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.dyndns.org>  R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!