How to pass a reference to the current module

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Fri Aug 3 21:31:39 EDT 2007

Carsten Haese wrote:
> please describe less abstractly what you're trying to do.

You sound like my former thesis adviser.

OK. From an external source, such as configuration file, the user will
specify the *name* of a function somehow with the assumption that the
function will be coded somewhere (in the present or other modules) by
that name. This behavior is to be implemented in a very primitive
pythoncard-like application wherein the user can specify hooks via a
configuration file. The configuration file will describe the GUI. To go
one more step deeper into the rationale, the idea would be to replace
optparse type behavior with a gui wherein one can type input parameters
into fields rather than specify them at the command line with optional
flags.

Please take a look at my previous response to myself for one possible
solution I devised. I don't particularly like it much, however, because
it seems unnatural.

James

--
James Stroud