decorators - more than just syntactic sugar

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 13:46:19 EDT 2007

Michele Simionato <michele.simionato at gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 11, 8:30 pm, Helmut Jarausch <jarau... at skynet.be> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> are decorators more than just syntactic sugar in python 2.x and what
>> about python 3k ?
>
> Well, I argued may times that syntactic sugar is important (all Turing
> complete languages differs by syntactic sugar only)

Although I agree that "mere" syntactic sugar matters, I think you're
overstating the point. I would argue that most people would understand
syntactic sugar as equivalent to a (very) localized program transformation.
Things like first class continuations clearly aren't syntactic sugar in that
sense.

'as