Python mode

jay jyoung79 at kc.rr.com
Wed Aug 8 21:58:55 EDT 2007

I'm starting to learn how to use emacs (on Mac OS 10.4)
and I found that you can load something called python-mode.el which
looks like it can help when writing Python
code in emacs.  I'm hoping it can color python syntax as well as
indent it correctly, etc.
My problems are:

1.  Where should you place the 'python-mode.el' file?  I downloaded a
folder from 'sourceforge.net' that contains 4
files (python-mode.el, doctest-mode.el, pycomplete.el and
pycomplete.py).  I couldn't find any installation
instructions anywhere.  Do I use all 4 files or just the one and where
should it go?  One web-site said the 'python-
mode.el' file needed to be compiled before being moved to whereever it
needs to go.  How does one compile these things?

2.  All the web-sites I found about installing this said I should
change my .emacs file which should be located in
my home folder.  I can't find a .emacs file anywhere on my machine.
The only thing close to it is a .emacs.d folder
which contains an autosave folder.  Does anyone know where this .emacs
file is located?  Or do I need to manually create one?

Thanks for looking at my questions.

Jay