Tkinter or wxpython?

Bryan Hepworth bryan at redfedora.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 14:01:12 EDT 2007

Chris Mellon wrote:
> On 06 Aug 2007 09:44:15 -0700, Paul Rubin
> <"http://phr.cx"@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> The point is that you have no option with the browser - even Tkinter
>>> has platform theming support now.
>>>
>> Hmm, I don't know anything about that.  I'm taking the view that for a
>> lot of apps, the requirement is to just put some functionality on the
>> screen, with slick visual appearance having little value or even
>> negative value.
>>

> Define "functionality". From the rest of your posts, that seems to be
> limited to "press buttons" and "type small amounts of non-formatted
> text" on the interaction side and "display small amounts of simply
> formatted text" on the output side. I'm not denying that you can get
> by with this functionality in a large number of cases, but it's
> certainly not optimal in general. If it were, we'd all still be using
> VT100 terminals.
>

>>> ...Gmail uses ajax instead of a page load when you start
>>> typing a reply,
>>>
>> I see, the answer to what caused your problem is approximately "ajax
>> is evil", or alternatively, the gmail app attempts slickness with a
>> tool that doesn't support slickness that well.  OK, I can accept that
>> using browsers for slick interfaces has its problems, but the answer
>> (a lot of the time, not always) is to just decide you don't need
>> slickness.
>>

> What you're calling "slickness" is what other people call "usable".
> Obviously it could be done without the ajax, but you lose features and
> usability. It's slower, because it takes a full page load, and I lose
> the context of the discussion.

>>> Which they won't (I don't even know how, from Firefox), so you can't
>>> rely on it working.
>>>
>> The application javascript pops a dialog asking for permission and the
>> user clicks yes or no.  If you can get them to install a desktop app
>> (gah!!) then you can certainly get them to click yes in a browser.
>> The permission mechanism is admittedly browser dependent.
>>

> My out of the box firefox install simply denies the operation and
> raises a javascript error.
>

>>> But not of anything else. I've often wanted to drag & drop a file onto
>>> the file upload box in gmail, for example.
>>>
>> Well, ok, that's a slick feature that your app might need.  None of
>> mine have needed it so far.
>>

>>> How about something as simple as context menus?
>>>
>> Unnecessary slickness for many apps.  I've never needed it.
>>

> How have you decided that you've never needed it? Have you ever worked
> with a UI designer or workflow expert? Or have you just never bothered
> to implement it and you never heard anything from your users? How
> closely have you worked with the users of your applications?

>>> Multiple windows are the common case on the mac. They're not rare on
>>> other platforms as well. The fact that your windows are constrained to
>>> the browser and can't be torn off is a large limitation. No toolbars,
> [...]
I'm also in a similar predicament starting to look at Python for the
first time.

I'd be curious to know peoples take on other GUI's like pygtk and pyqt
for example to get a fuller picture. As a total newbie the list seems
daunting so taking advantage of other peoples experiences seems like a
good idea.

Bryan