Encryption and hashing

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Fri Aug 17 15:34:35 EDT 2007

> For who knows any of criptography I comment that you can use
> algorithms as secure as Rijndael, Twofish, or Serpent with the CFB
> cipher mode. And for hash you can use RIPEMD, SHA-2 or WHIRLPOOL.

As I recall, PyCrypto can also use these, and many others. And it can
also do RSA.
> And the best is that there are wrappers for Python [5] [6].

One advantage of PyCrypto is that it works on many platforms. If
standard C extensions are not available, it will fall back to a pure
python implementation. Well yes, sometimes it is slow. But it is also
much easier to use than pyOpenSSL, for example. (BTW you forgot to
mention some other popular ones, like pyOpenSSL, mcrypto2 etc.)

   Laszlo