Tix HList missing at least one method

Ron Provost ronpro at cox.net
Tue Aug 28 16:11:11 EDT 2007

According to the Tix documentation online, HList has an info_bbox() method which returns the bounding box of a given item in the HList.  However, when I try to call this method, I get an attribute error.  Looking at Tix.py I see that info_bbox() is not implemented.

Hazarding a chance (mostly by looking at the other method implementation) I see if I can define it myself.

def info_bbox( self, entry ):
   return [ int(pos) for pos in self.tk.call( self._w, 'info', 'bbox', entry).split() ]

When I use this implementation it works.  Why's info_bbox() been left out of HList?

I can't formulate a work-around for what I'm trying to do.  I need info_bbox().

Here's why:

I'm currently working on a project which involves some fairly complex GUIs.  It displays data in the form of an outline which the user can edit, it also generates web pages.  To allow a natural feel to editing the order of the items in the outline, I decided to make use of the Tkinter drag and drop module: Tkdnd.  To do this correctly, I need to do a bit of arithmetic with screen coordinates while in a drag operation  (so I can change the cursor during the drag) so that I can determine if my current drag position (potential drop position) is above, below or as a child of some other item in the outline.  The easiest way to do this is to get the bounding box of the nearest items.

Thanks,
Ron