Learning Python using a book based on version 1.5

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Wed Aug 22 19:32:53 EDT 2007

dogatemycomputer at gmail.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> A friend of mine dropped off a copy of Sams Teach Yourself Python in
> 24 Hours published in 2000.  I skimmed the first couple of chapters
> looking for the interpreter version and the book was based on version
> Python version 1.5.
>
> Is this book still relevant?   Should I toss it and look for something
> newer?
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Best Regards,
> Dave

If you want to make a decision based on a quorum, I would suggest to not
bother with that book. Yes the SAMS TY books are usually great
(especially anything Laura Lemay), but you if you use a 1.5 book, you
will be learning some stuff you will *need* to unlearn at the expense of
learning things you should know.

I think the online tutorial is the way to go, or the newest Learning
Python from Lutz. After that, check out TPIP (Mertz) or the Programming
Python book from Lutz (for a global-esque view of the python world).
Maybe even think about the Cookbook (ed. Martelli).

Dive-Into-Python starts with one of those "Don't worry about what all
this means" examples, which I tend to hate and so I never got passed the
first example--it may get better as you go judging from all of its
proponents.

James