beginner whitespace question

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 9 21:28:35 EDT 2007

eggie5 wrote:
> But this still isn't valid:
>
> from django.db import models
>
> class Poll(models.Model):
> 	question = models.CharField(max_length=200)
> 	pub_date = models.DateTimeField('date published')
>
>     def __unicode__(self):
> 		return self.question
>

> class Choice(models.Model):
>     poll = models.ForeignKey(Poll)
>     choice = models.CharField(max_length=200)
>     votes = models.IntegerField()
>
>     def __unicode__(self):
> 		return self.choice

You want this:

from django.db import models

class Poll(models.Model):
	question = models.CharField(max_length=200)
	pub_date = models.DateTimeField('date published')

	def __unicode__(self):
		return self.question

class Choice(models.Model):
     poll = models.ForeignKey(Poll)
     choice = models.CharField(max_length=200)
     votes = models.IntegerField()

     def __unicode__(self):
	return self.choice

But this mixes tabs and spaces.

Rules:

1. Don't use tabs!
2. If you are clueless enough to violate (1), then don't mix tabs and
spaces.
3. Don't use tabs!

Tabs are for tables, hence the name. "Use spaces for space and use tabs
for tables" can be a little mnemonic to help you remember the rules. We
can make a little song together if you can think of some things that
rhyme with "don't" and "use" and "tabs".

You have been warned. Next time I'll piont and laugh as I answer.

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570