low level ethernet device access in linux

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Aug 31 13:33:25 EDT 2007

On 2007-08-31, Tom Brown <brown at esteem.com> wrote:

> I understand that I am getting this error because I am running
> the application as a user and not as root. I would like to be
> able to run this app. as a user. Is there a way to create a
> socket without running the app. as root or sudo?

Yes.

According to the raw(7) man page:

   ERRORS

      EPERM The user doesn't have permission to open raw
            sockets.  Only pro- cesses with a effective user
            ID of 0 or the CAP_NET_RAW attribute may do that.

Anticipating your next question:

 $ man capabilities

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Well, I'm INVISIBLE
                                  at               AGAIN ... I might as well