Hex editor - Python beginner's code open to review

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 21:11:44 EDT 2007

On Aug 10, 10:36 pm, CC <cr... at BOGUS.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> http://web.newsguy.com/crcarl/python/hexl.py
>
> This is my first Python program other than tutorial code snippet
> experimentation.  I chose a hex line editor.  I may do a hex screen
> editor once this is done, if I feel like playing with the curses module.
>   Or move straight to wxPython.
>
> This is unfinished, and is really just a hex viewer at this point.  It
> seems like a good point to stop and see what others think.  I would be
> interested to hear any comments.
>
> My command parsing if of course crude, brute-force, and not very
> scalable.  I am doing some reading on this subject, and will be trying
> to do a more generalized approach in the next revision.  This is going
> to be a subject where I need to learn a lot, because I have 2-3
> embedded applications in C that need varying levels of command parsers,
> so I will be seeking to improve this skill considerably.
>
> Thanks for input.
>
> --
> _____________________
> Christopher R. Carlen
> cr... at bogus-remove-me.sbcglobal.net
> SuSE 9.1 Linux 2.6.5

Looks like mostly clean code to me. I don't understand why you declare
"Offset" globally twice. Wouldn't it make more sense to just stick it
at the top of the file like your "Hexdigits" variable? I'm also not
sure if your style follows the style guide...then again, mine probably
doesn't either. You can check it out here though:

http://www.python.org/doc/essays/styleguide.html

Rather than using if/else statements for error checking, you may want
to consider using try/except:

http://docs.python.org/tut/node10.html

That my 2¢!

Mike