The Future of Python Threading

Justin T. jmtulloss at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 17:51:50 EDT 2007

On Aug 10, 2:02 pm, l... at honk-honk.com (Luc Heinrich) wrote:
> Justin T. <jmtull... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What these seemingly unrelated thoughts come down to is a perfect
> > opportunity to become THE next generation language.
>
> Too late: <http://www.erlang.org/>
>
> :)
>
> --
> Luc Heinrich

Uh oh, my ulterior motives have been discovered!

I'm aware of Erlang, but I don't think it's there yet. For one thing,
it's not pretty enough. It also doesn't have the community support
that a mainstream language needs. I'm not saying it'll never be
adequate, but I think that making python into an Erlang competitor
while maintaining backwards compatibility with the huge amount of
already written python software will make python a very formidable
choice as languages adapt more and more multi-core support. Python is
in a unique position as its actually a flexible enough language to
adapt to a multi-threaded environment without resorting to terrible
hacks.

Justin