how to move cursor in Interactive Interpreter

yan.python at gmail.com yan.python at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 07:22:28 EDT 2007

On 8 14 ,   2 44 , Peter Otten <__pete... at web.de> wrote:
>  yan.pyt... at gmail.com wrote:
> > i  have a question.
> > when i run Interactive Interpreter in linux command promt,how can i
> > move the cursor.
> > for example,when i enter a string,i often enter the quotation mark ""
> > first,and the move the cursor inside the mark to enter the string,in
> > windows,it is ok.but when i do that in linux,pressing the "left" key
> > will just print "^[[D" in the screen ,but not what i want.
> > so , how can i move the cursor Interactive Interpreter in linux?
> >  i've googled and find nothing useful.who i tell me what to do?
>
> Python uses GNU readline for cursor movements. The Python version that ships
> with your distribution should work out of the box. If you compile Python
> yourself make sure that the development package (not just the binary) is
> installed. For Suse this is readline-devel.
>
> Peter

thanks for your reply
I thought maybe i just didn't install readline correctly,so i deleted
python and tried to re-compile the source code(I downloaded the .bz2
version).This time ,I found in the "./Modules/Setup" the description
for "readline":

# GNU readline. Unlike previous Python incarnations, GNU readline is
# now incorporated in an optional module, configured in the Setup
file
# instead of by a configure script switch. You may have to insert a
# -L option pointing to the directory where libreadline.* lives,
# and you may have to change -ltermcap to -ltermlib or perhaps remove
# it, depending on your system -- see the GNU readline instructions.
# It's okay for this to be a shared library, too.

#readline readline.c -lreadline -ltermcap

dont know exactly what to do,I just delete the "#" mark in the line
"#readline readline.c -lreadline -ltermcap " , then tried to
"configure","make",but errors of readline occor here.
what am i supposed to do to install the module GNU readline correctly
then?
thanks

by the way,my linux is Mandriva 10