Relative-importing *

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Mon Aug 6 03:19:26 EDT 2007

rbysamppi at gmail.com writes:

> (In addition, it probably would make the program somewhat slower to
> have an internal class inside every module, and performance is
> important to me, as I'm planning to use this project in a future
> game.

This is known as "premature optimisation", and it's harmful. It's
folly to avoid a core part of the language because you're worried
about hypothetical performance issues.

Instead, write your program so that it's easy to understand and
maintain; then, if it's noticeably slow, *measure* the performance
using profiling so you know exactly what is slow; then, and only then,
work on speeding up the slow parts.

> These modules are not going to have full-fledged object construction
> and so forth. I don't want to construct and use objects at all

If that's truly what you desire, you're using the wrong
language. Everything in Python is an object, even if you don't use
object-oriented programming.

> it seems like a waste of time and memory to me to inherit __new__,
> __del__, and so on.

You've stated that you're a beginner to programming, so you probably
are unaware that this statement has no basis in how class inheritance
actually works. The point is that inherited behaviour is implemented
in *one* place, not that it's repeated everywhere.

Moreover, this is a further expression of your tendency for premature
optimisation. You should aim instead to write code naturally (learning
what's natural when you're a beginner), and only once you have
something that *works* should you think about performance issues.

> All that I want these modules to do is to encapsulate varying
> information and behavior for /other/ objects to use.)

This sounds like an ideal case for seeting up a class hierarchy for
this move behaviour.

> But regardless of if it's the "right thing to do", do you all think
> it's an unintended bug?

Do we think what is an unintended bug?

I think if you go out of your way to avoid the class inheritance
system for implementing what looks strongly like a hierarchy of
behaviour, you will have design bugs. Hopefully now that you're
reading this thread, they won't be *unintended* bugs; whether you
*intentionally* proceed with a buggy design is up to you :-)

--
 \        "With Lisp or Forth, a master programmer has unlimited power |
  `\     and expressiveness. With Python, even a regular guy can reach |