Another question about variable args.

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Aug 7 12:09:31 EDT 2007

I have a structure I need to pack. I call struct.pack about a dozen times
and each call takes about 53 arguments.

I create a sequence of the arguments:
a1 = 1
a2 = 2
a3 = 3
etc...
a54 = 88
myseq = (a1, a2, a3, a4 etc... a53)
Also I made

def mpack ( fmt, *ss ):
     print type(ss)
     for ii in ss:
         print 'ii = ', ii, 'type(ii) = ', type(ii)
     for ii in list(ss):
         print 'ii = ', ii, 'type(ii) = ', type(ii)
     return struct.pack(fmt, *ss )

In my main, this first print statement works.
print 'main:', mpack(ff, a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i)

1. For the life of me, I can't figure out what to do to get the next print
to work. The idea is that I want to make my code clearer by not passing
50+ args each time and to instead pass a sequence which when evaluated
will be the desired list of args.

print 'main:', mpack(ff, subseq)

2. And then, if possible, I'd like to do it in such a way that one myseq
is defined, its value can automagically be re-eval'd so I don't have to
re-assign to myseq each time one of the 50+ variables changes prior to
calling pack.

Does this make sense?

steveo at syslang.net