Tkinter or wxpython?

Paul Rubin http
Mon Aug 6 10:39:12 EDT 2007

kyosohma at gmail.com writes:
>  I've read that Tkinter doesn't scale well if you're writing complex
> GUIs. I haven't been able to test this hypothesis though. However,
> since I had to rewrite VBA apps into Python, to get the right "look
> and feel" I needed the widgets that wxPython provided. Since I started
> out with C++, I find wxPython better than Tkinter, but it's all pretty
> subjective. Try them both!

Tkinteger (dang, I always end up typing it that way, I won't even
bother fixing the error) is easy to use for simple gui's, and it's
part of the standard python distro which for me is a big advantage (no
extra crap to download).  However, the widget set is rather ugly and
doesn't blend in well with anyone's native widgets; the widget
selection itself is rather narrow, and I think kyosohma may be right
that it doesn't scale well to complex gui's.  I've looked at the code
for IDLE's gui and it's terrifying.

At this point I think nobody should write desktop gui apps without a
good reason.  There is a fairly flexible and easy to program gui
already running on almost every desktop, namely the web browser.
Before you write a gui using some client side toolkit, ask yourself
whether you can instead embed a web server in your application and
write an HTML gui.  That approach is not always the answer, but it has
considerable advantages when you can do it that way.