Adjusting the names of custom exceptions (since raising strings is deprecated)

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Tue Aug 21 04:32:01 EDT 2007

Silfheed wrote:
> Heyas
>
> So this probably highlights my lack of understanding of how naming
> works in python, but I'm currently using FailUnlessRaises in a unit
> test and raising exceptions with a string exception.  It's working
> pretty well, except that I get the deprecation warning that raising a
> string exception is going to go away.  So my question is, how do I
> mangle the name of my exception class enough that it doesnt stick the
> name of the module before the name of the exception?
>
> Namely I'd like to get the following
>
> ***
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> MyError: 'oops!'
>
> instead of
>
> ***
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> __main__.MyError: 'oops!'
>
> (or even test_thingie.MyError as is usually the case).
>

> Creating a class in a separate file and then doing
>
> ***
> from module import MyError
> raise MyError
>

> still gives
>
> ***
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> module.MyError
>

> Anyway, any help appreciated.

Would it be cheating to use metaclasses?

# myModule.py
class ExampleType(type):
   def __repr__(cls):
     return cls.__name__

class ExampleError(Exception):
   __metaclass__ = ExampleType
   __name__ = 'ExampleError'
   def __repr__(self):
     return 'ExampleError'

py> import myModule
py> raise myMo
myModule      myModule.py   myModule.pyc  myModule.py~
py> raise myModule.Ex
myModule.ExampleError  myModule.ExampleType
py> raise myModule.ExampleError
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<ipython console>", line 1, in <module>
ExampleError

James