reading a line in file

Jay Loden python at jayloden.com
Mon Aug 20 16:24:42 EDT 2007

Shawn Milochik wrote:
> Everybody hates regexes. Except me. Discrimination!

Actually, I love them, they are an amazingly powerful tool. I just happen to also believe the old axiom "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb". Also the related "some people think when they see a problem 'I know, I'll solve it with regexes' - now they have two problems" ;)

I work with a lot of Perl at work and the mindset with Perl is precisely the opposite, since the regexes in Perl are so fast and so built-in/easy to work with. I guess it's sort of a language design and culture thing.

-Jay