split a string of space separated substrings - elegant solution?

Karthik Gurusamy kar1107 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 19:10:05 EDT 2007

On Aug 1, 12:41 am, Helmut Jarausch <jarau... at igpm.rwth-aachen.de>
wrote:
> Many thanks to all of you!
> It's amazing how many elegant solutions there are in Python.

Here is yet another solution.

pexpect.split_command_line()

>From the documentation:
split_command_line(command_line)
    This splits a command line into a list of arguments.
    It splits arguments on spaces, but handles
    embedded quotes, doublequotes, and escaped characters.
    It's impossible to do this with a regular expression, so
    I wrote a little state machine to parse the command line.

http://pexpect.sourceforge.net/pexpect.html

But I am surprised to see there is a standard module already doing
this (shlex)

Karthik