OT: pronounciation [was: list index()]

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Fri Aug 31 06:19:31 EDT 2007

Tim Golden wrote:
> Erik Max Francis wrote:
>> Paddy wrote:
>>
>>> I say the 'oll' in troll like the 'ol' in frolic, and pronounce roll
>>> and role similarly.
>>>
>>> My accent is probably from the East Midlands of the UK, but is not
>>> pronounced.
>> _Troll_ and _frolic_ aren't pronounced with the same "o" sound in any
>> accent I've ever heard of.  Which you pronounce _boat_ and _bot_ the
>> same way, too?
>
> [Amusingly contemplating a trolling war about the pronunciation of "troll"]
>
> Well they sound the same in my more-or-less South London accent.
> I can't write those funny phonetic symbols (and I hate to
> imagine the Unicode encoding hoops I'd have to jump through
> to make them readable anyway) but both "o"s sound short to me.
> Like "bot" rather than "boat" using your example.

Since we're talking... I'm still a little startled when I listen
to some of the excellent webcasts that are being produced these
days (showmedo.com and friends) and hear American voices pronounce
Python... well, the way they do, with the stress and something of a
drawl on the second syllable. I'm sure it's just as amusing the other
way round: we pronounce it with the stress on the first syllable and
the characteristic short vowel sound in the second.
(Something like: Pie'thun).

TJG