Python error on Mac

Jay Loden python at jayloden.com
Mon Aug 27 13:20:37 EDT 2007

Clover wrote:
> When trying to do some things on my Mac (starting Lyx, compiling Latex
> via TextMate) I get this error:
>
> python: execv:
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python:
> No such file or directory
>
> I (and people on Lyx and TextMate lists) are at a complete loss as to
> why this is happening. I didn't (at least intentionally) fiddle with
> Python setup.
>
> Thanks!

what is the output of 'which python' - this should show what python executable is running:

[jloden at macbook jloden]$ which python
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python

You should then check the output of ls -l agains the value of the above:

[jloden at macbook jloden]$ ls -l /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin  9 Jul 14 01:53 /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python -> python2.5

That will show what the executable is actually linked to.

Other thoughts would be to check if the /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python directory exists, or even if /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/ exists. Perhaps you are trying to execute Python 2.5 but don't actually have it installed?

-Jay