building exe from script

nih nih at nih.nildram.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 07:15:51 EDT 2007

A bit more information is clearly needed...

1. Create a file called py2exeSetup.py with the following contents:

from distutils.core import setup
import py2exe

def compile(appName, console=False):
    OPTIONS = {"py2exe": {"compressed": 1, "optimize": 0, "bundle_files":
1, } }
    ZIPFILE = None

    if console:
        setup(
            options=OPTIONS,
            zipfile=ZIPFILE,
            console=[appName]
        )
    else:
        setup(
            options=OPTIONS,
            zipfile=ZIPFILE,
            windows=[appName]
        )

2. Create another file called setup.py with the following contents

import py2exeSetup

# to stop a wxPython program from loading a console window you just need to
change the
# file extension from .py to .pyw

# change Filename to your XXXApp.pyw filename
# change to py2exeSetup.compile('Filename.pyw', console=True) to show the
console
py2exeSetup.compile('Filename.pyw')

3. Create a file called Compile.bat with the following contents

REM change Filename to your XXXApp.exe filename
REM make sure that python is in your system path

python setup.py py2exe
copy dist\Filename.exe Filename.exe
if errorlevel 1 pause

4. Put all these files in the same place as the program you want to convert
to exe and run Compile.bat
    an *.exe file will now be in the same folder as your python files :)

I have py2exeSetup.py in a separate 'Shared' folder so there is only one
copy of it,
so all my programs only have setup.py and compile.bat in them

btw if you have a load of programs that you want to compile in one go the
add a file CompileAll.bat
in the root folder that all the programs are in, with the following
contents:

cd "ProgramOne"
call py2exe.bat
cd..

cd "ProgramTwo"
call py2exe.bat
cd..

# REM this part will execute if all programs compiled & copied ok
echo all copied ok!
pause

I know hardly anything about ms-dos, but this works ok:/

gl!

news:1187602337.366419.92930 at r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...