Symbolic Link

mosscliffe mcl.office at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 23 10:23:20 EDT 2007

On 22 Aug, 00:05, Ian Clark <icl... at mail.ewu.edu> wrote:
> Hyuga wrote:
> > On Aug 19, 4:29 pm,mosscliffe<mcl.off... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> The source file is in an area which python can see, but not the
> >> browser.  I am trying to make a link in a browser friendly area so I
> >> can use it to display an image file.
>
> > You might want to try using an .htaccess file.  Place a file
> > called .htaccess in the "browser friendly area" and place in it the
> > line:
>
> > Options +FollowSymLinks
>
> > Assuming your hosting service will allow that, then it should work.
> > If not, then why not just copy the image files?  Storage is cheap
> > these days.
>
> > Hyuga
>
> My question would be why a symbolic link? Why not a hard link? Are the
> two directories on different mount points? After the script finishes
> does python need to see that image file again? Why not just move it?
>
> Ian

I just imagined a symbolic link would be quicker.

I have tested a hard link now and it seems to work fine.  I am
deleting the link/s at the end of the session/s.

I think a link is better than a move, because there is always a
possibility I might somehow delete the moved file and then I would
lose the original one.

Thanks for your help.

Richard