optparse - required options

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 16:53:12 EDT 2007

Well, I don't know what is wrong with people then. I don't see how required
arguments are of bad design. Some command-line applications are built around
performing tasks based on information received. Compilers, for example. A
compiler can't do much of anything unless you give it at the very least a
filename. So, a --file command would most definitely be one required
argument. Anyway, I'm not trying to start a debate on this issue. I have my
own implementation for required arguments at the moment, I am just a little
bit surprised that this module doesn't make it convenient. It would
definitely help on code duplication.

Thanks for your response.