Complex Numbers

Greg Lindstrom gslindstrom at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 12:06:39 EDT 2007

Not quite.  Consider the square root of -1.  It's not real because you can't
square a real number and get a negative, so we define "i" (or, perhaps "j")
to be the square root of -1.  An imaginary number is of the form Ai, where A
is "real".  So 2i, -3.14i are imaginary.

Complex Numbers are of the form A + Bi  Where A and B are real (so they have
a "real" component and am "imaginary" component). So yo might see 2 + 3i,
etc.  You'll see them a lot in engineering.