Tkinter or wxpython?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Aug 8 12:34:35 EDT 2007

Chris Mellon wrote:
> On 8/8/07, Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote:

> Using Tile, of course, loses you the first major benefit of Tk - that
> it's already included in the standard library. So in this sense it's
> still "ugly old school look and feel" vs "no external dependencies",
> which is the swing decision for many people. People who prefer the Tk
> API, of course, will be happy to use Tile.

Tile has been implemented in the Tk core starting with version 8.5,
still somewhere between alpha and beta stage. Once 8.5 is out, and
Python is configured to build against Tk 8.5 (instead of 8.4), it should
Just Work.

> Also, while you can get (mostly) native *look*, the feel is absent.
> Unless I'm very uninformed, Tile is a theming engine only, and doesn't
> implement platform conventions with regard to behavior (the "feel"
> part of look and feel).

What do you mean here? Things like keyboard accelerators, menu
placement, and so on? Those things are already natively implemented by
Tk, and the developer just needs to invoke them. Sometimes some
conditional code is required for stuff like keyboard accelerators (the
"tk windowingsytem" command is useful for this), but again, it should
Just Work.

Or am I missing something?

--
Kevin Walzer