Compiling Source with alternate Openssl lib

Kevin T. Ryan kevin.t.ryan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 14:09:58 EDT 2007

Hi All -

I'm trying to compile Python on a Centos machine (RHEL) 3.8 for a
hosting account that I just set up and I'm having 2 issues:

1.  I ran into an issue with the "hashlib" module [I think] because it
bumps it up against an *OLD* openssl lib (like, Feb. 2003).  So I
installed a newer openssl lib, but when I recompiled python it still
used the old library.  So I tried ./configure again with the flag: "-
with-openssl-libs=/new/directory" but it still didn't work.  Any idea
how I might be able to remedy this?  I have a working solution right
now: I've commented out the last 2 lines of hashlib.py, but I'd rather
not do that if I didn't have to.

2.  As part of this process, I installed "easy_install" and I was
trying to download psycopg2 but I got the error: "PyDateTimeAPI
defined but not used" when trying to compile.  I've had this problem
before when trying to compile psycopg2 and it was because I didn't
have the postgres header libs installed (libpq-dev) ... but that's on
a debian box, and I can't figure out how to fix it on the RHEL one.

I know the 2nd question might not belong in this group, but I thought
I'd ask just in case someone ran into this before or might have any
suggestions.

Thanks in advance (as always!) for your help!

Kevin