maybe a popen question... or something else?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Aug 6 19:22:12 EDT 2007

dude wrote:
> Working on Windows XP
> Say I have a Windows executable, foo.exe.
> foo.exe is a command line tool that can take a number of different
> arguments and perform corresponding actions.
>
> I want to invoke foo.exe from a Python script (using whatever will
> work best).  I want to continuously pass arguments to foo.exe in
> between doing other stuff from within my Python script.
>
> Some pseudo code:
>
> processHandle = invoke("foo.exe") # what python module should "invoke"
> be here?
>
> doUnrelatedStuff()
>
> processHandle.passArgs("arg1 arg2") # The same foo.exe I invoked above
> gets these args for processing
>
> doMoreUnrelatedStuff()
>
> processHandle.passArgs("arg3 arg4") # The same foo.exe I invoked above
> gets these args for processing
>
> processHandle.close() # "foo.exe is destroyed"
>
> Thanks for any help.

When you say "pass arguments", the methodology you outline definitely
isn't going to fly with argument passing. When a command is invoked the
arguments are taken from the command line, so it isn't possible to pass
further arguments at a later time.

You probably need to write to you sub-process's standard input stream.
which you can do whit the subprocess module (the modern way to do it) or
one of the various popen() functions.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119