BaseHTTPServer and Apache

Ron Garret rNOSPAMon at flownet.com
Sat Apr 14 03:10:16 EDT 2007

In article <1176514240.915684.11410 at y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
 "Luis M. González" <luismgz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 13, 8:44 pm, Ron Garret <rNOSPA... at flownet.com> wrote:
> > In article <rNOSPAMon-8BDDE1.16253913042... at news.gha.chartermi.net>,
> >  Ron Garret <rNOSPA... at flownet.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Does
> > > anyone know of a straightforward way to get Apache to "forward" requests
> > > to a given path to another HTTP server running on a different port?
> >
> > Never mind, I think I figured it out.  Apparently what I need is the
> > ProxyPassReverse directive.
> >
> > I'd still be interested in hearing about people's experience using
> > BaseHTTPServer for real applications.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > rg
>

> Some python web frameworks use the aproach you described by means of
> mod_rewrite.
> For example, Karrigell and Cherrypy (although they offer also other
> ways of deployment).
> This page in Karrigell's docs show how:
> http://karrigell.sourceforge.net/en/apache.htm

Thanks for that pointer.  Using the 502 handler to start the server is a
nifty trick.

So I've got all that working now.  Next question: how do I set things up
so that I can communicate to my server through a unix domain socket
instead of a TCP socket?  (The reason I want to do this is that I'm
running multiple copies of this server so that multiple engineers can do
development each in their own sandbox, and assigning each of them their
own port number is a configuration nightmare.)

I got as far as rewriting the server code to use a unix socket, but then
I got stuck.

rg