Suggestion: str.itersplit()

Dustan DustanGroups at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 19:36:11 EDT 2007

On Apr 21, 4:54 pm, attn.steven.... at gmail.com wrote:
> On Apr 21, 5:58 am, Dustan <DustanGro... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >From my searches here, there is no equivalent to java's
>
> > StringTokenizer in python, which seems like a real shame to me.
>
> > However, str.split() works just as well, except for the fact that it
> > creates it all at one go. I suggest an itersplit be introduced for
> > lazy evaluation, if you don't want to take up recourses, and it could
> > be used just like java's StringTokenizer.
>
> > Comments?
>
> If your delimiter is a non-empty string, you
> can use an iterator like:
>
> def it(S, sub):
>     start = 0
>     sublen = len(sub)
>     while True:
>         idx = S.find(sub,start)
>         if idx == -1:
>             yield S[start:]
>             raise StopIteration
>         else:
>             yield S[start:idx]
>             start = idx + sublen
>
> target_string = 'abcabcabc'
> for subs in it(target_string,'b'):
>     print subs

Thanks.

Well, now I know it can be implemented in a reasonably efficient
manner in pure python (ie without having side-efect strings that
aren't of any use, as with concatenation). That's what I was mainly
concerned about.

I feel that it could be a builtin function (seriously, the world
wouldn't end if it was, and nor would python), but this'll work.
That's my last word on the subject.