Write to a binary file

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 13:40:27 EDT 2007

On Apr 4, 11:40 am, "Thomi Aurel RUAG A" <Aurel.Th... at ruag.com> wrote:
> Hy
> I'm using Python 2.4.2 on an ARM (PXA-270) platform (linux-2.6.17).
> My Goal is to write a list of bytes down to a file (opened in binary
> mode) in one cycle. The crux is that a '0x0a' (line feed) will break the
> cycle of one writing into several pieces. Writing to a "simple" file,
> this wouldn't cause any problem.
>
> Assuming - without questioning ;-) - that a device file (/dev/*) has to
> be written in one cycle because one write call will be interpreted as
> one "transaction". The write behaviour on line feed's isn't really
> usefull because such "transactions" would be broken up into serveral
> pieces and therefore for the device into several "transactions".
>
> Is there a possibility to write a list of bytes "en bloc" to a binary
> file? (without the interpreting of the line feed's)
> Opening a file i binary mode (i.e "wb") seems not to be enough.
>
> Thank you for any help
> Aurel

I don't know if these will help or not, but they all have info on
binary file writing:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2001-September/105529.html
http://docs.python.org/tut/node9.html
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-python8/

If your data is a bunch of strings, have to tried just concatenating
them into one variable and writing that? If Python is the only program
you will use to read the data, you should be able to pickle it.

Mike