Python ODBC

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Mon Apr 30 05:59:20 EDT 2007

kyosohma at gmail.com writes:

> On Apr 29, 11:34 am, Harlin Seritt <harlinser... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Is there a Python odbc module that will work on Linux? I have a jdbc
> > connection to a DB2 server. I am looking hopefully for an open source
> > solution and not a commercial one.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Harlin
>
> I would think the odbc module would work. We've used SQLRelay here at
> work too. Here's a link on the database modules for Python:
>
> http://www.python.org/topics/database/modules.html
>
> And here's a few links on db2 with Python:
>
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/tutorials/db2linux/db2proj/updated/python_db2_interface.htm
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pydb2/
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/i-dw-db2pylnx-i.html
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Mike

I've looked into it, but never got all the
way to a solution.  As I understand it:

1. The DBMS needs to support ODBC.   DB2 does, so ok.

2. You need a client side framework and driver.  Those are provided on
   MS Win platforms.  On *NIX platforms, unixodbc and iodbc are the
   main players.

   http://www.unixodbc.org/
   http://www.iodbc.org/

3. For *NIX you need python bindings.  This is where mxODBC has
   operated (e.g., with iodbc).  But there is an OSS effort at:
   https://sourceforge.net/projects/pyodb

--
Harry George
PLM Engineering Architecture