Do other Python GUI toolkits require this?

Max Erickson maxerickson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 10:10:27 EDT 2007

Antoon Pardon <apardon at forel.vub.ac.be> wrote:
>>> Just asserting how something can make a difference withouth
>>> arguing how in the particular case it actucally makes a
>>> difference is just a divertion tactic without real merrit.
>>>
>> In the face of a notion that all steep curves determining
>> "progress made in something" must be good I stand with my mouth
>> agape. I am aware that common usage does not concur with
>> academic rigor, but in this particular instance I'm with the
>> common herd.
>
> Well that notion is entirely yours. My notion was only that
> progres in productivity, earnings and learning was good and thus
> that curves that are to be prefered tend to be the same shape for
> those three subjects.

If we are being pedantic about describing a curve that shows the
progress of a person in learning a topic, there is no arguing with
you, a steep curve describes fast uptake and is a good thing.

If we are being pedantic about what a learning curve describes, it
seems possible that it describes the rate of knowledge uptake
required to master a given topic, and that such a learning curve
could exclude people that were unable to take in knowledge at that
rate(for whatever reason) from mastering that topic, making it
reasonable to describe such a topic as both 'hard' and 'having a
steep learning curve'.

max