Inconsistent result from urllib.urlopen

junkdump2861 at hotmail.com junkdump2861 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 13 13:10:19 EDT 2007

Laszlo Nagy wrote:
> > Any ideas why I don't get the same result from the python script as I
> > do from a web browser?  This problem seems to be a recent
> > development.  The scripts I wrote like this worked fine for a while
> > and then stopped working within the past couple of weeks.
> >
> Maybe it has to do something with your user agent string. The server
> side can decide to return a different content when your user agent is
> not 'mozilla', 'internet explorer' or 'opera' etc.
>
> Do you want to know how to change your user agent string? Google for
>
>    Laszlo

Thanks.  That is the fix I needed.  I added

urllib.URLopener.version = 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1;
en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)'

as the second line of code and now it is actually getting content, not
just an error message.  It's not the exact same format as you get from
saving the page from the web browser, but all the links and image
addresses are in place.