OverflowError: mktime argument out of range ???

Jorgen Bodde jorgen.maillist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 05:39:19 EDT 2007

Thanks again,

I will explain what happened. I am a python newbie. The time and
datetime modules are confusing at the beginning, but after diving into
them I started to understand the structure. So what I did was using
the time module for date storage, but I came to understand that time
is actually more used for file dates and times. That would explain the
epoch and 1970 boundaries as there are not much files before the
pre-PC era to keep timestamps for.

Basically it would have been clearer if the time module would have
been called 'filetime' as datetime kind of supercedes the time by
removing all boundaries and still presenting all methods to the user.

Onca again, it was confusing for someone starting with python, but I
think I got it now. I cannot claim it was not documented, I was more
surprised that there was a boundary and decided to ask before reading
the python docs, sorry ....

With regards,
- Jorgen