compiling modules with VS 2008 for python 2.4 prepared with Visual Studio 2003

alf ask at me
Thu Apr 12 22:17:54 EDT 2007

Alex Martelli wrote:

> I would think this error message is as clear as it can be, and then
> some!  It even gives very practical advice on how to work around the
> problem.  Either install VS2003, if you own it or can purchase it, or
> else install mingw32 (which is free and can be downloaded) and use the
> option which the error message tells you to.

well, instructions were clear enough for me. What is hard to get why it
could not use free M$ compiler which is presumably produces compatible
objects and libraries.

In fact I played with msvccompiler.py a little bit, get around registry
paths and was able to produce .pyo file. Then I hit some runtime lib
issues. In meantime I found precompiled probstat lib so gave up on
making msvccompiler.py compatible with VS 2008.

Bottomline - it would be nice to have such support.
--
alf