Connection problems with irclib

Cousin Stanley cousinstanley at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 03:53:58 EDT 2007

> Hi. I've written a bot in python,
> using the irclib by Joel Rosdahl.
>
> Works fine from my linux box at home,
> but when I upload it to my shell
> at veritynet.net, can't seem to get it
> to connect to an irc server.
>
> It doesn't report any errors.
>
> Anyone have any idea how I might go about
> at least diagnosing the problem?
>
> Any suggestions might help.

Dropkick P ....

  For a bit of inspiration you might take a look
  at Supybot which is a Python-based irc bot ....

    http://supybot.com

  It's designed to run from your local machine
  and connect to a remote irc server ....

  I ran it from home 24/7 with virtually no problems at all
  for several months from a very modest and old Compaq box
  running Debian Gnu/Linux Sarge which connected via aDSL ....

  A brief description from the Debian package manager ....

    robust and user friendly Python IRC bot Supybot
    is a robust (it doesn't crash), user friendly
    (it's easy to configure) and programmer friendly
    (plugins are *extremely* easy to write) Python IRC bot.
    It aims to be an adequate replacement for most existing
    IRC bots. It includes a very flexible and powerful ACL
    system for controlling access to commands, as well as
    more than 50 builtin plugins providing around 400 actual
    commands.

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being