CGI Script using Python

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 19:22:26 EDT 2007

On Apr 21, 10:02 pm, Tim Roberts <t... at probo.com> wrote:
> "Ralf" <r... at supanet.com> wrote:
>
> >is there anybody who can help me.
> >I would like to use a Python Script to download Files from a Server to the
> >Client, to update the Client.
>
> Remember, though, that a CGI script cannot actually put files anywhere. You
> can certainly download files to the client browser, but the user will have
> to be involved to tell the browser where to store the incoming file.
>
> Doing anything else would be a security hole.

But a CGI script can send a file in response to an automated request
from a client application, without ever needing a browser to be
involved.

Sending the right headers means that existing libraries (urllib2 I
guess) will know how to handle the response.

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles.shtml