About Trolltech QT OpenSource license.

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 18:02:27 EDT 2007

king kikapu wrote:
> Ο/Η Robert Kern έγραψε:
>> It's a bit more complicated than that. There are good resources for
>> understanding the implications of the GPL on the FSF's site which other people
>> have pointed out.
>
>>From what i can understand, you can sell your product and you have to
> give the source. Also you must state clearly somewhere in the software
> that this is under GPL.
> Are there other complications that comes to the party ?

All parts of the software have to be licensed compatibly with the GPL. The FSF
has a fairly comprehensive list of the licenses they believe are GPL-compatible.
The source that you provide needs to be the preferred form for making
modifications; i.e., you can't use a tool that obfuscates the code. You need to
provide the scripts that you use to build the software. You have to be careful
about using patented techniques in your code. The source code must be offered at
no extra charge (this part of the license is a bit tricky, so please read the
license and the commentaries).

> (i really like Qt but if i have chances to mess with laywers, i show
> stick to wxPython and PythonCard...)

You probably won't have to mess with lawyers, but with all software, even with
wxPython and PythonCard, you yourself should understand the legal implications.
You said that you "do not fully understand this license stuff," so I am trying
to give you the resources such that you can learn.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco