PYTHON and GUIS and LOGIC... What First? (NEWBIE)

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Apr 17 08:32:03 EDT 2007

Hey folks,

Well I read parts of the Oreily python book last night to knock me out.
Unfortunately it actualy kept me awake with more questions.

I am new to Python, OOP and for the fact programming. I have been a long
time scriptor for basic processes using BAT shells and BASH shells...
now I have dabled in VB for a while and been studying python.

I have been doing various tutorials, creating small plugin widgets for
python based applications and some simple scripts....... Now comes the
next stage

So here are today's perplexing thoughts.

HOW TO START A PROGRAM FROM SCRATCH.

I am not dealing with storing any data, just massive repetive processes
on photos and grabbing info from a DB.

I am also doing a GUI through Glade (done a few tutorials).

Do I design the GUI or create the logic? Maybe it is done at the same
time.

So how do I decide if code should be housed in one module, a few or many
modules.

Do I have the GLADE XML file and then a module that organizes all the
event handling and then pawn off the processing of strings to one or
various modules?

Should I create an object for everything or just things that will be
reused. Looking at P.300 (OOP at 30,000 feet) makes me feel like that to
be a good programmer I have to relate everything to everything and all
code should be reused. I just want to make a nice tight and clean chunk
of code and comments that can be understood by people who look at it
later.

AAAAAWWWWKKKKK

Any thoughts, insight or philosphies?