SNMP agent

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Apr 6 20:26:02 EDT 2007

claird at lairds.us (Cameron Laird) wrote:
> I understand the sentiment; in principle, it shouldn't be hard
> to write a library which supports construction of SNMP agents
> in Python.  I'm aware of no one who has done so publicly, though.

I've used pysnmp (http://pysnmp.sourceforge.net/) in a test environment for
a while.  Only the manager side, never tried to implement an agent.  It's
pure python, so it's very portable.  In theory, that also means it's not
very fast, but for what I've ever wanted it for, it was plenty fast enough.

The latest NetSNMP release apparently now includes a python binding
(http://www.net-snmp.org/docs/NEWS.html).  I have not had a chance to use
it, but it sounds good.