function/method assigment

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Apr 13 12:34:15 EDT 2007

viscroad at gmail.com wrote:
> I have a confusion when I do some practice, the code and output are as
> following,

> 	print 'In fun()....'

> In fun()....
> None
> <function fun at 0x00CC1270>
> In fun()....
> None
>
> what is 'testfun'? Why it is 'None'? And print testfun2(), what is the
> meaning of 'None'?
>
> Thanks!

When a function does not specifically return a value then its return
value is a particular value known as None, the only instance of the None
type.

So testfun is the result of calling the fun function, and it's None
because fun() does not return a value.

Since testfun2 is just another reference to the fun function, testfun2()
is None for exactly the same reasons.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden