I can't inherit from "compiled" classes ?

Maxim Veksler hq4ever at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 15:48:31 EDT 2007

Hello list,

I'm trying to subclass socket and select, for both I get:
""" TypeError: Error when calling the metaclass bases
    module.__init__() takes at most 2 arguments (3 given) """, I don't
understand this error. Why would python try to pass 3 arguments (what
are they) ?

Googling for this error gave random results talking about try to
inherit a "Package" but socket is definitely a class,
(/usr/lib/python2.4/socket.py). Not sure about select thought.

I've did the following to receive the error:
"""
In [1]: import socket

In [2]: class PollingSocket(socket):
   ...:     pass
   ...:
exceptions.TypeError                                 Traceback (most
recent call last)

/home/hq4ever/<ipython console>

TypeError: Error when calling the metaclass bases
    module.__init__() takes at most 2 arguments (3 given)
"""

What am I breaking wrong?

Thank you,
Maxim.