How can I kill a running thread when exiting from __main__

care02 at gmail.com care02 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 13:21:59 EDT 2007

Hi!

I have the following problem: I have written a short Python server
that creates an indefinite simulation thread that I want to kill when
quitting (Ctrl-C) from Python. Googling around has not given me any
hints on how to cleanly kill running threads before exiting. Any help
is appreciated!

Carl

### CODE EXTRACT ###

import pythoncom

class QueueThread( threading.Thread):
    def __init__(self, command):
        threading.Thread.__init__(self)
        self.command = command

    def run(self):
        pythoncom.CoInitialize()
        try:
            object = Dispatch('application')
            execute = getattr(object, 'Execute')
            execute(self.command )
        finally:
            object = None
            pythoncom.CoUnitialize()

queuethread = QueueThread("queuehandler")
queuethread.setDaemon(True)
queuethread.start()

## How can I kill "queuethread" when exiting (Ctrl-C)?