noob questions

T.Crane trevis.crane at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 11:36:39 EDT 2007

I'm new to python and I seem to get different behavior depending on...
well who knows what.  Here's my question concerning importation of
packages/modules.

I want to use scipy.  So at the prompt (using iPython, installed with
Enthought edition on Windows XP) I type:

ln [1]: from scipy import *

Now, I know integrate is a package this is in scipy.  I want to use
the ode class/module that's in integrate.  So I type:

ln [2]: from integrate import *

And I'm told

ImportError: No module named integrate

In order to get access to the ode class, I end up having to type:

ln [3]: from scipy.integrate import *

Then it works.  Will someone explain to me what I'm misunderstanding?
I don't understand why after importing everything in scipy (which
includes integrate), I was told there was no module named integrate.
What gives?  I there are sevarl functions (modules) that I want to use
that are a few levels down from the root package, what's the most
economical method of importing them?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

trevis