Would You Write Python Articles or Screencasts for Money?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Wed Apr 25 06:10:46 EDT 2007

On 2007-04-24, Anton Vredegoor <anton.vredegoor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>>> When cash is involved, it's important to avoid even the slightest
>>> hint of a suggestion of a suspicion of a conflict of interest;
>>> that, I guess, is why firms that run contests with cash prizes
>>> always declare employees and their families "not eligible", and why
>>> I think the PSF should do likewise in this case.
>>>
>> That's a good point, and also a valid reason for restricting the
>> voting community to PSF members. Thanks, Alex.
>
> So in order to avoid a suspicion of a conflict of interest you want to
> turn the whole thing into private property of the PSF?
>
> That is  the most ridiculous suggestion I have ever

I kind of understand why they would want to do this. If you have
no limitations on who may vote, such a contest can easily turn
into a contest of who can mobilize the biggest clan of supporters.

Now maybe there are better ways to avoid this kind of unwanted
effect but I wouldn't call Steve's suggestion ridiculous.

--
Antoon Pardon