calling super()

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at designaproduct.biz
Thu Apr 5 07:15:54 EDT 2007

John Clark wrote:
> Please be aware that super() has it's own set of gotchas - it's not as clean
> as you would hope.  For more info: http://fuhm.org/super-harmful/
>
> (I'm not the author, I was referred to this article while struggling with
> wxPython and super())

This was interesting! I'm using single inheritance in most of the cases.
In very rare cases I use mixin classes, but they do not have
constructors. In this situlation, I hope I'm right and I can safely use
super(). I must agree that if a class uses "super" in its constructor,
then all its descendants and bases must also use super. However, I'm
using super in other cases. For example, for threading.Thread
descendants, extensively, without any problems. Am I right in what I'm
doing?

Thanks,

Laszlo