[offtopic?] problem with UDP broadcast on Windows XP

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 9 07:43:23 EDT 2007

Hello

Sorry this might be a bit offtopic but I don't really know where else
to post this question. If you could point me in the right direction that
is much appreciated.

I'm running into a weird thing on Windows XP.

I'm using Python 2.5 with latest pywin32 from Mark Hammond.

I have this UDP socket server that binds on ('',9090) and is used
to be a broadcast responder. It works fine when I start the server
from the cmd prompt. UDP broadcast packets sent to ('<broadcast>',9090)
arrive in the server.

However now I'm running the same server as a Windows NT Service.
The same code is executed, the UDP server socket is bound to the
same address. But this time, the UDP broadcast packets do NOT arrive.... !?

When sending an UDP packet to the server's IP address directly,
it works. So the socket server is running.
Only thing is it doesn't seem to receive any broadcast packets.

Is this a known 'feature' of a windows NT service?
Doesn't windows allow a service to receive broadcast packets?

Again, sorry that I post this here it is probably more of a windows
question. But I don't know a good place to ask this type of thing.

Thanks for any help,
--Irmen de Jong