WOLFOWITZ AND HIS IRANIAN PROSTITUTE SALARY OF $190k/yr Re: Test Tube Zealots: The American Chemical Society Terminates the Membership of Chemists from Iran

Fred Kasner fkasner at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 14 17:54:41 EDT 2007

lemnitzer at india.com wrote:
> "I now direct you to agree to a proposal which includes the following
> terms and conditions," Wolfowitz instructed. "You should accept
> immediately her offer to be detailed to an outside institution of her
> choosing, while retaining bank salary and benefits."
>
> The Wolfowitz memo went on say that Riza should receive a promotion,
> draw a salary of 180,000 dollars (£90,000) and get annual pay
> increases of 8%.
>
> Before the job change, Riza was believed to be getting paid close to
> 133,000 dollars (£67,000). After the transfer, she received 193,590
> dollars (£97,000), according to the Government Accountability Project,
> a watchdog group.
>
> Riza remains on the World Bank's payroll though she left the State
> Department job last year and now works for Foundation for the Future,
> an international organisation that gets some money from the
> department.
>
> On Apr 7, 9:33 am, stj... at rock.com wrote:
>> http://counterpunch.org/rahni04072007.html
>>
>> Test Tube Zealots: The American Chemical Society Terminates the
>> Membership of Chemists from Iran
>>
>> By DAVID N. RAHNI
>>
>> The American Chemical Society (ACS) has once again led the way, with
>> its "zealot" interpretation of "embargo" by the Department of
>> Treasury's Office of Foreign Asset Control, by terminating the
>> membership of its long-standing members in Iran, many of whom are post
>> Ph.D. Alumni of American Universities. Several years ago, the ACS
>> undertook a similar unprecedented action, under the same law. Then, it
>> unilaterally stopped accepting scholarly and research manuscripts from
>> Iranian scientists for its three dozen periodicals in the publication
>> division. However, later, under embarrassing pressure from the
>> American scientific community and its membership, the ACS retracted
>> its decision and agreed to take it up instead with the federal
>> government. Paradoxically and notwithstanding rhetoric, such ill-
>> conceived measures are against the current U.S. Administration policy
>> of promoting people-to-people contact as enunciated by the Assistant
>> Secretary of State Nicholas Burns at the March 29 hearing of the
>> Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
>>
>> Yudhijit Bhattacharjee, in Science Magazine, reported that the ACS
>> Assistant General Counsel, David Smorodin when "re-reading the embargo
>> rules, made the recommendation to terminate Iranian membership(Science
>> Magazine, Vol. 315, 30 March 2007). One can not help but speculate
>> whether or not such decision is truly serving the interests of member-
>> based ACS or enforcing the laws to the limit as he has served as a
>> U.S. Assistant District Attorney before joining the ACS. Nonetheless,
>> despite the abrupt termination of individual membership of Iranian
>> chemical scientists with no due process, the ACS has stated that while
>> they [Iranians] can continue to purchase journals and other "non-
> [...]

If you would read C&EN News you would be aware that the response of the
membership is hardly majority in favor of such actions. Had they polled
the membership I doubt that the action would have been approved. The
action of a state is not necessarily the will of even a majority of its
citizens. Consider if you will the present popularity polls in regard to
the President of the United States of America.
FK